Explore Salem this winter and discover seasonal events, attractions, and more. Some business hours may change for the winter months. Review the list below to see which attractions change their hours for the season and contact individual businesses for the most current hours.
Salem Regional Visitor Center
2 New Liberty Street | 978-740-1650
Winter Hours: Wednesday-Sunday, 10:00 am-4:00 pm. Site information and Junior Ranger packets are also available online. The Salem Regional Visitor Center is currently closed due to the government shutdown. Visitor information is also available at Waite & Peirce National Park Service Information Center & Park Store at 193 Derby Street.
Waite & Peirce National Park Service Information Center & Park Store
193 Derby Street | 978-744-4319
Open daily, 10:00 am – 5:00 pm.
Salem's So Sweet Chocolate & Ice Sculpture Festival | February 8-10
A decadent tradition of delectable chocolate, sparkling ice sculptures, and Valentine’s Day shopping. Don’t miss Salem’s sweetest event of the year!
Salem Film Fest | March 29-April 4
Entering its 12th year, Salem Film Fest is one of New England’s largest documentary film festivals and presents a rich and diverse collection of the year’s best work from all over the world.
Most accommodations in Salem are open during the winter months, with exceptions listed below.
Hot & Hygge Winter Package at The Merchant: Let The Merchant help you create that cozy winter vibe with a cozy fireplace to curl up in front of, signature blanket and soft slippers (yours to keep), a homemade Hot Chocolate Kit, and an extra hour at check-out to sleep-in, or curl up and read your favorite book all for just $65 added to any room rate. Available January 1-March 15, 2019. New reservations only. Subject to availability. Not valid with any other offer or discount. $65 package fee will be charged to your room rate at check-in. Must book directly with the hotel by phone and mention this special at time of the call, or enter “Hot & Hygge” in the “Notes and Special Requests” field when booking online. Learn more here.
The following accommodations are closed for the season:
- Coach House Inn | Re-opens May 2019
- Morning Glory Bed & Breakfast | Re-opens April 2019
- Stepping Stone Inn | Re-opens March 1, 2019 except for special events and groups. Groups of up to 8 guests may contact the inn directly at 978-741-8900
Museums & Attractions
The following attractions have changes in their hours this season:
Charter Street Cemetery
The historic Charter Street Cemetery in Salem has reopened following the completion of archaeological field work on the site in November 2018. The City anticipates the Cemetery will close again to the public beginning in Spring 2019 for landscape restoration work at the historic burial ground. The closure is expected to last six months and may extend through the month of October. For more information about closure dates and the restoration project, please see preservingsalem.com.
Salem Witch Museum
19 1/2 Washington Sq. North | 978-744-1692
Open 10:00 am-5:00 pm daily. Closed on select dates in January 7-11 and 14-18 for maintenance. Call to confirm hours before your visit.
172 Essex Street | 978-745-2021
Sunday 11 am - 5 pm
Thursday 11 am - 5 pm
Friday 11 am - 6 pm
Saturday 11 am - 6 pm
Closed Monday-Wednesday throughout the season and from January 1-17.
Many walking tours run year-round and others run by appointment or with groups only during the winter months. View a complete list of walking tours in Salem and a monthly schedule here.
The following attractions are currently closed for the season:
- Bewitched After Dark Walking Tours | Opens Spring 2019
- Black Cat Tours | Opens Spring 2019
- Boat Tours to Bakers Island Lighthouse | Opens June 2019
- Candlelit Ghostly Walking Tours | Opens July 2019
- Cry Innocent | Opens June 2019
- Frankenstein's Castle | Opens July 2019
- Gallows Hill Museum/Theatre | Opens October 2019
- Historic New England's Phillips House | Opens June 2019
- Mahi Harbor Cruises & Private Events | Opens May 2019
- New England Pirate Museum | Opens April 2019
- Pioneer Village | Opens June 2019
- Salem Historical Tours | Opens weekends in March, daily in April 2019
- Salem Trolley | Opens April 2019
- Salem Witch Walk | Opens April 2019
- Schooner Fame of Salem | Opens June 2019
- Sea Shuttle | Opens June 2019
- Spellbound Tours | Opens April 1, 2019
- Sunset Sail Salem | Opens May 2019
- Witch Dungeon Museum | Opens April 2019
- Witch History Museum | Opens April 2019
Long Wharf in Boston/10 Blaney Street in Salem | 877-SEE-WHALE
Currently closed for the season and scheduled to reopen May 2019. Salem is accessible via public transportation from Boston year-round with the MBTA Commuter Rail.