Please note programming and interior access to buildings is currently unavailable. The grounds of Derby Wharf are accessible.
This National Park preserves one of America’s most influential ports, Historic buildings, wharves, and the vessel Friendship; describe the traders and sailors who brought the riches of the Far East to America. See website or contact the Salem Visitor Center at 978-740-1650 for the most up to date tour schedules and movie times:
Derby House Tour
The 1762 Derby House was the first home of Elias Hasket and Elizabeth Crowninshield Derby. It is a beautiful example of a merchant’s Georgian home and is furnished to reflect the Derbys’ 20 year-long residence in the house. Guided tours led by National Park Rangers are free, limited to 8 persons and require reservations. Call (978) 740-1650 or stop by the Salem Visitor Center between at 2 New Liberty Street on the day of your visit to make your reservation. Tours begin at Waite and Peirce, 193 Derby Street.
Narbonne House Self-Guided Tour
Built in 1675, this free self-guided tour takes visitors through nearly 300 years of history as a home of successful businessmen and their families. Staffed by National Park Rangers or Volunteers, the Narbonne House is unfurnished, and contains displays of some of the nearly 150,000 archaeological artifacts, which were excavated from the back yard.
US Custom House, Public Stores, and Scale House Self-Guided Tours
Visit the U.S. Custom House, Public Stores, and Scale House for free self-guided tours and talk with National Park Rangers or Volunteers. Built in 1819 to house the offices of the U.S. Customs Service, Salem collected millions of dollars of taxes on incoming cargo, providing vital financial support for the new United States government. The building was also the workplace of the famous author Nathaniel Hawthorne. The Public Stores and Scale House have exhibits showcasing global trade in Salem.
“Where Past is Present”
A 27-minute film on the history of Essex County featuring early settlement, maritime and industrial history.
“Salem Witch Hunt: Examine the Evidence”
A 35-minute documentary style film on the history of the Salem Witch Trials of 1692.
The visitor center is open Wednesday-Sunday, 10 am-4 pm.