Stay Local in Salem this Holiday Season
Stay local and shop and dine in Salem this holiday season
Downtown Salem is home to scores of small, locally-owned businesses that need our support! Destination Salem is collaborating with Salem Main Streets, the Creative Collective, and Salem Chamber of Commerce to encourage you to #StayLocalSalem in 2020. A postcard has been mailed to 19,000 Salem resident households to invite locals to patronize local businesses. Bring the postcard to a participating business and receive a punch with purchase. Get 5 punches, and turn in the postcard to be entered into a drawing for a fabulous Salem staycation!
Salem’s downtown retail mix includes artists’ studios, jewelry shops, specialty foods, housewares, apparel, and seasonal items. Many of the businesses have built online stores and offer shipping or curbside pick-up. Businesses that are offering in-store shopping have health and safety guidelines in place that include capacity limits, hand sanitizer, and plexiglass barriers to keep employees and shoppers safe.
Many restaurants are open for both take-out and dining in, and most sell gift certificates, which make a great gift! Restaurants have also implemented new safety protocols, including removing tables, adhering to reduced capacity limits, and installing barriers between tables and booths.
Museums including the Peabody Essex Museum, Salem Witch Museum, and The House of the Seven Gables are open, as are their shops, providing both unique gifts and a safe activity – and, residents receive free admission at PEM and the Salem Witch Museum!
There are three things we want you to know:
- Salem is safe! Retail shops and restaurants are committed to following all state and local guidelines to protect the health and wellness of their customers and employees.
- Salem is convenient! There are more than 250 locally-owned businesses within a square mile. Know exactly what you’re coming for? The City of Salem will be designating short-term parking locations throughout the downtown to make pick-up quick and easy.
- Salem is unique. You won’t find this mix of retail and restaurants just anywhere, and your patronage helps it stay that way! Come downtown and rediscover the one-of-a-kind fashion, food, gifts, and groceries available from North Street to Pickering Wharf.
Shopping Local? Here’s how to turn your purchase into a prize:
- Between December 5 – 31, 2020, bring a #StayLocalSalem postcard to participating businesses and punched with purchase. Residents should receive their postcards in the mail on December 4 or 5. If you didn’t get a postcard in the mail, pick one up from a participating business or contact Destination Salem to request a postcard be mailed to you. Make sure your postcard has your name and mailing address written on it! That is how we will contact winners.
- When you make a purchase at a participating business, ask for a punch.
- The business who gives you your 5th punch will collect your card so it will be entered into the drawing. Not done shopping? Request another card and keep punching!
- Ordering online? Participating businesses will have stickers they can send to you with your order. Be sure to request the sticker (and a postcard, if you need one) with your order.
- Any questions? Contact Destination Salem at firstname.lastname@example.org or (978)741-3252.
Prize package includes:
Overnight stays at the Hampton Inn or Hawthorne Hotel, gift cards for Caramel Patisserie, J.Mode, Ledger, Moody’s Home & Gifts, and Village Tavern, plus a couple’s massage by Freedom Massage and 15 minute readings by Hermetic Arts.
Angelica of the Angels, 192 Essex Street
Beverly Bees, 24 New Derby Street, Unit 2
Bewitched in Salem, 180 Essex Street
Body & Soul Massage 111 Canal Street
The Boutique, 6 Front Street
Caramel Patisserie, 281 Essex Street
Clipper Ship Inn, 40 Bridge Street
Coon’s Card & Gift Shop, 226 Essex Street
Coven Beauty Company, 63B Wharf Street, Pickering Wharf
Deacon Giles Distillery, 75 Canal Street
District Trading Company, 131 Essex Street
The Finery Shop, 63A Wharf Street, Pickering Wharf
Finz Seafood & Grill, 86 Wharf Street, Pickering Wharf
The Flower Child, 131 Essex Street, Store 4
Flying Saucer Pizza Company, 118 Washington Street
Freedom Massage, 50 Grove Street, Suite 204
Gulu-Gulu Cafe, 247 Essex Street
The Happy Sunflower, 78 Wharf Street, Pickering Wharf
Hampton Inn Salem, 11 Dodge Street
Hermetic Arts, 272 Essex Street
Hex: Old World Witchery, 246 Essex Street
Hive & Forge, 30 Church Street
J. Mode, 17 Front Street
Jenni Stuart Jewelry, 201 Washington Street
Laura Lanes Skin Care, 242 Essex Street
Ledger Restaurant, 125 Washington Street
Longboards, 72 Wharf Street, Pickering Wharf
Maria’s Sweet Somethings, 26 Front Street
Melt, 60 Washington Street
Modern Millie, 3 Central Street
Moody’s Home & Gifts, 109 Essex Street
Omen: Psychic Parlor & Witchcraft Emporium, 184 Essex Street
Orchid, 10 Front Street
Partridge in a Bear Tree, 82 Wharf Street, Pickering Wharf
Peabody Essex Museum Shop, 161 Essex Street
Popped! Gourmet Popcorn, 84 Wharf Street, Pickering Wharf
Refind, 72 Washington Street
Remember Salem, 127 Essex Street
Salem Witch Museum, 19 1/2 Washington Square North
Salemdipity, 86 Wharf Street, Pickering Wharf
Sea Level Oyster Bar, 94 Wharf Street, Pickering Wharf
Silvermoon Comics, 1 E India Square Mall, #131
Style Snoop, 96 Wharf Street, Pickering Wharf
Tavern at the Hawthorne Hotel, 18 Washington Square
Trolley Depot, 191 Essex Street
Turner’s Seafood, 43 Church Street
Village Tavern, 168 Essex Street
Waite and Peirce, 193 Derby Street
Wicked Good Books, 215 Essex Street
Witch City Consignment, 301 Essex Street
The Witchery, 61 Wharf Street, Pickering Wharf
Wynott’s Wands, 127 Essex Street
Share how you’re staying local this holiday season by tagging #StayLocalSalem and #StayLocal2020
Contest details: Submit your postcard to a participating business for punch in person, or request a sticker with an online or curbside pick-up order. It is the responsibility of the consumer to request the sticker with online purchase. After receiving 5 punches or stickers, the card can be turned into a participating business or sent to Destination Salem, PO Box 630, Salem, MA 01970. Entries must have a name, mailing address, or email address clearly written on the postcard or they will not be entered. Cards must be returned by January 4, 2021. Two winners will drawn on January 8, 2021. This program was created to encourage patronage of Salem’s independently owned businesses. No purchase is required to enter, but purchases are recommended. Contact Destination Salem at (978) 741-3252 or email@example.com with any questions.